Regarding materials and equipment, the UPM Product Development Lab counts with several design, prototyping and analysis technologies, including:
- CAD-CAE-CAM resources for computer aided design, engineering and manufacturing (NX-8.5 Siemens PLM Solutions, Catia, Solid Edge, Matlab, 3-matic by Materialise, among other resources).
- Additional simulation technologies.
- Laser stereolithography (3D Systems) for 3D additive manufacture of complex parts.
- Low-cost laser stereolithography system (Form1+ by Formlabs).
- Three-dimensional “rep-rap” printer for low-cost production scaffolds and microsystems.
- “Inkredible” 3D bioprinter and related bioinks for biofabrication purposes.
- CNC machining for computer aided manufacturing.
- UV lithography for micromachining of 2D½ geometries.
- Resources for manufacturing silicone moulds by rapid-form copying.
- Resources for manufacturing ceramic moulds.
- Vacuum casting of several biopolymers and alloys in silicone moulds.
- Microfusion for vacuum casting of metal alloys in ceramic moulds.
- Composite materials processing technologies.
- Characterization technologies (mechanical, tribological, thermal).
- IR-thermography for temperature monitoring in processes and trials.
- Conventional micro-manufacturing tools (spin-coating, dip-coating, soft/hard-bake, ovens with controllable temperature curves, chemical attack resources optical microscopy…).
- Several photopolymers (epoxies and acrylics) for additive manufacture and biopolymers (PCL, PVA, PLA, beeswax) for additive manufacture and replication of rapid prototyped “green” parts.
- PDMS for rapid mold making with replication precision down to 5 microns.