Modern product development: The application of systematic design methodologies, together with the relevant recent advances in computer-aided design, engineering and manufacturing technologies, novel materials and micro/nano-manufacturing resources, have reshaped product development along the last 20 years, greatly improving aspects such as time-to-market and overall project costs, as well as final product or device quality and overall performance. At UPM’s Product Development Lab we apply Mechanical Engineering principles and employ computer-aided design, engineering and manufacturing resources, together with additive manufacturing and advanced fabrication technologies, according to the aforementioned design and development strategies towards a straightforward path to innovative products with interesting functionalities for a wide set of industrial applications.
Among the activities we perform linked to Mechanical Engineering and Industrial Design of mechanical systems and engineering products, it is important to cite:
- Mechanical design of machines and products
- Kinematic and dynamic simulations.
- Mechanic/dynamic FEM-based simulations.
- Thermal/fluidic FEM-based simulations.
- Manufacture of polymeric prototypes, pre-series and products.
- Manufacture of metallic prototypes, pre-series and products.
- Manufacture of composite prototypes, pre-series and products.
- Functional trials and validation.
- Performance assessment through IR thermography.
- Support with redesign and innovation tasks.
- Consulting services towards mass production.
From the need to the solution, from the idea to the product